Friday 26 June 2009

Allergy free cinnamon buns and other bits 'n' bobs

It's bin a while! I was so tired after I finished all the uni work I had due a earlier this month I haven't really been up to much but I have been in the kitchen doing some nice relaxing baking! I decided to try Angela's Skinny Mini Glo-buns last week. Oh yum! They were so good my cinnamon hating boyfriend smelt them cooking and asked me to try making him a gluten free, soy free, sugar free version... I'm always up for a challenge so I had a go, to my surprise, my first attempt was pretty much the same as the wheat version I'd cooked up for myself, and if you're not worried about being sugar free you can always ice them up! Here's my recipe which is based on Angela's... These would be cool for a children's party as they go a wierd green colour from the avocado!



Green Cinnabuns
Wet
1 medium banana
1 small avocado
1 T rice milk
1/4 t apple cider vinegar

Dry
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt

Method
  1. pre-heat the oven to 205c/400f
  2. blend the wet ingredient (should come to around 7 tablespoons)
  3. sift the dry into the wet
  4. form a dough and roll out onto a floured surface (I like to roll it onto parchment which I then use to roll it up as the dough is fragile)
  5. take a third of a cup of date paste (made by blending dates with just enough water to cover, hot water helps them blend quicker) mix a generous half tablespoon of cinnamon into the date paste and spread on the dough.
  6. roll up using the parchment and chop into slices
  7. for extra sweetness sprinkle with xylitol
  8. bake for 16 minutes
  9. Enjoy!

Green cinnabuns and skinny mini glo-buns in the background


skinny mini glo-buns with green cinnabuns in the background


green cinnabun


Skinny mini glo-bun

If you like the look of these desserts Sweet Freedom would be a great cookbook for you, I'm really hoping to get a copy soon but I'm short of money at the moment. :( sadface! Anyway if I'm lucky I will win a copy! Check out Shelly's blog, to win a copy and you can also be in with a chance of winning the book over at The Healthy Green Kitchen, fingers crossed!



Here's some yummy pasta I made by reducing lots of cherry tomatoes with garlic, mushrooms and spinach, I then added mange tout, green olives which were stuffed with sunblush tomatoes, sweetcorn and fresh basil, yum, yum, yum! The pasta is wholewheat with extra protein from ground lentils and chickpeas. Fairly simple but really tasty!



Stay tuned for a workout post soon.. I did an absolute killer of a workout on Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. Wow these look FABULOUS!!! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow they look gorrrrrgeous!! thanks for the recipe! i love veggie filled pastas - great for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoooa, I had no idea Angela had her skinny-mini recipe posted! But even more exciting is your twist on it. I HAVE to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe for the gluten and sugar free buns, they look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Avocadoes? COOL! and bananas! Double cool! they look SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother has been bugging me about cinnamon buns since I got home in May. I've been putting them off... but now I'd love to spring these on him without telling him what he's getting into. What do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, very interesting blog....
    your kitchen equipment is always to good....

    Used Kitchen Equipment

    ReplyDelete